1. Go Digital
- Use a digital X-ray machine, this eliminates chemical waste from processors.
- Utilize paperless charting, this will save POUNDS of paper and waste in your office per year.
2. Save Water
- Run water only when needed and do not leave sinks on.
- If you don’t have one already, switch to a waterless vacuum pump. It can save up to 25,000 gallons of water per year over a wet ring pump.
3. Recycle & Reuse
- Recycle whenever possible! Great things to recycle are scrap papers, cardboard boxes, plastic water bottles, plastic containers and metal cans. Also put a recycle bin in your reception area for patients to use.
- You can also reuse scrap paper and print double-sided to minimize paper use.
- Use metal utensils instead of plastic in the staff lounge area.
4. Have Patient’s Bring Their Own Toothbrush
An orthodontic office usually sees patients every 6 weeks for appointments where they allow time for brushing without the wires in. To save on waste, encourage patient’s to bring their own toothbrush rather than using a disposable on at the office. Depending on how many patients you see per day, this can save thousands of toothbrushes per year!
5. Save Energy
- Install energy efficient lighting and light bulbs and use natural light when possible.
- You can also use energy efficient appliances in your office as well as rechargeable batteries.
- Turn lights off in areas that are not being used.
- Check the seals on your windows for more efficient heating and cooling.
6. Buy Local
- Look for locally made or refurbished dental equipment.
- You can look for gently used office furniture from a warehouse or Craig’s List.
- There may also be some great dental products that are made locally.
7. Shop Smart
- Make purchases in bulk to decrease packaging from shipping – and save money! Reuse shipping boxes and you will decrease your shipping expenses.
- Consider using dental supplies that you can autoclave rather than disposables.
- There are even reusable cloth autoclave bags!